Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing 15

With every new "thing" I explore, I realize again how massive the information is that is available to us on Web 2.0. Accordingly, I think libraries must change in order to be relevant. The video on TeacherTube was eye-opening, but not really. I think all of us as high school teachers realize how hooked and technology savvy our students are. I found the accompanying article by Michael Wesch fascinating . I, too, have had the experience of thinking my students were "engaged" in class and then later found out they were, but not with me and my topic. Back to Libraries 2.0 . . . definitely a realization that it no longer makes sense to have only printed materials in a library. With the seemingly endless information available on the web, users/students/instructors do need access to digital collections. Librarians seem to be developing more into the role of facilitators and guides on how to find and access needed information on the web. Additionally, that access needs to be available from multiple locations such as homes, coffee shops, bookstores, as well as libraries. I also found it interesting that libraries are considered as conversations and collaberations. The more I explore Web 2.0, the more I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment