Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing 23

1) What were some of my favorite discoveries?
There were more than just a few favorites. I truly feel that I learned and acquired Web 2.0 tools that will have a direct impact in my classroom. I plan to put my Rollyo on my syllabus and give it to parents on their copy at Open House. I also plan to create and use Wikis with my students and parents. Teacher Tube - what an amazing new tool for me. Now I know where some of my colleagues have gotten such neat, effective videos. I also discovered the numerous uses of Google - I had no idea that Google Docs, Google Alerts, etc even existed. I love Google Earth and was familiar with it. Flickr, Dumpr, Library Thing, and Photo Story 3 were among my favorite discoveries - all of which I will continue to use. As you can see, my list is long, but I do love them all!

2) How has this assisted or affected my lifelong learning goals?
I have always considered myself to be a lifelong learner. At the end of each teaching year, I re-evaluate and reflect on what I have learned that year. I think every effective teacher must be a lifelong learner; however, we must continually acquire new skills and accept new challenges to foster this goal. This program has forced me to extend my learning curve and acquire new technology skills (which I needed) and get me out of my comfort zone. Because of all the new "things" I learned this summer, I will continue to "push my technology enveolpe" during this school year and push and challenge my students in new ways. Kudos to all of you for offering us this opportunity!

3) Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outomes from the program?
Yes!!! I had no idea that I would learn exponentially as I did this summer. My skill level on the computer and with technology has grown at an amazing rate. My knowledge of blogs and their purpose and the sheer number of them, my knowledge of Web 2.0 and all that it offers, and my realization of the vastness of the Internet, the many new teaching tools I have acquired are all a result of this program. I had no idea of what I did not know before these 23 Things. This has made me a more educated, effective teacher.

4) What can you do differently to improve this program's format or concept?
The program is fantastic! My suggestion would be for you all to publicize it better. Thanks to our librarian at MHS and her several emails about 23 Things, a bunch of us decided to participate. As I ran into friends over the summer in the district and mentioned to them what all I was learning, I found that they had never heard of this opportunity. So, I think you need to "push it" more. Some of our rave reviews should make others want to participate. Also, you monitored all we did so well. Whenever, I had a question or problem, Vaughn seemed to be right there ready to help. Wow! I really feel this program should be a requirement for all teachers in the district.

5) Would I participate in another discovery program like this?
Most definitely. One of the best facets of this program is that it is offered over the summer and is self-paced. You can learn and work through as your schedule permits. I taught 2 semesters of district summer school and still finished in July. I never felt pushed for time or pressured - it was enjoyable and gave a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I am proud of all I have learned!

6) Describe in one sentence this learning experience:
Incredible, FUN, exponential learning!

7) I will now comment on blogs! And, thanks again for this incredible journey!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! What a great idea to put your rollyo on your syllabus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a successful trip to the Playground for you!
    Hope you will continue to share future successes with us thru your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I did teach at NHS this summer w/ my outdoor ed classes. Today we cooked lunch for administrators, school board members, and of course, the kids. I should have told you to come down and eat with us. It was sooooo good. I went through some of your blogs and enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete